Monday, June 18, 2007

Olio

Mady Kate thinks that she is having a baby also.
I named this blog tonight, Olio, because I could not hold to one topic. I hope that's okay.
Since I became a parent 7 yrs. ago at the ripe old age of 22, I have had to grow up pretty quickly along with being a parent. I have to say I have really enjoyed it.... most of the time. No, really I have. I love my girls sooooo much! They are funny, clever, sweet and most of all, they are ours. From Lucy's nose to Mady Kate's chin, there is no doubt who they belong to. Not one day passes that they have not put me in stitches. I love the way they have mixed up words or have their own vocabulary for things. Example: MK- wash cloth- dosh caw, L- pancakes-cancakes MK- pop-tart-whap-tart, L- Tylenol-tynyn-nonal, MK-Wal-Mart- Mall-mart and L&MK -Hobby Lobby -Holly Bobby. The Bible isn't spared either. Mady Kate thinks that Jesus walked on the water at the Ross Barnett Reservoir here in Jackson and poor Joseph is called Jo-ves. I love to sit down at the table every day to hear what they are going to say next. Now that we are about to add on to our family of four and I am 7 yrs. older and hopefully a smidge wiser and not sooo green, I only look forward to what our son will look like, act like and what our girls will teach the poor little fella.
As most of you know Lucy just finished the 1st grade. She ended the year with all A's and on a 3rd grade reading level. Beep, Beep, I know I sound like I am bragging, I'm just so proud of her. As well as she did in school, the one thing she didn't get very well is spelling. I know this will come, but for now we have to really put on our thinking caps to read letters or cards. Below I am going to type out something that she wrote out today about her memories of first grade.....
1st grade Memaris
Favroit Subgect
1. Sians
2.Math
3. Langwish
Favroit Frand- Emma
As I close for tonight, another thing that I have learned being a parent.....
Children listen alot better if you sing what you want them to do. example..
Clean up your room, quit crying, calm down or even GET OUT OF THE STREET MADY KATE is so boring and predictable, however if you sing to them to the tune of say a 70's or 80's sitcom or Negro Spiritual on these topics not only will they pay attention----they obey!!! It's amazing and you should try it. I even made one up for my mother to get her off of my back about sitting up on bedrest to the tune of I think it was to some Roots song. I made her laugh and whatayouknow-- she got off my back!
PS: this also works with potty training(use your imaginations)
Have a great week!!!!!

No comments: